EAGLE OPEN HOUSE DATES
EAGLE OPEN HOUSE INFORMATION FOR INCOMING 6th & 9th GRADERS
Open House Sessions:
Saturday, October 27, 2018--9:30-12:00pm
Saturday, November 10, 2018—9:30-12:00pm
Open House Session Highlights include:
· Tour of the school building & facilities
· Meeting with faculty, administrators,
and current Eagle parents & scholars
For incoming 9th graders only,
scholars should bring their:
· 7th grade report cards
· 7th grade attendance records
· 7th grade NYS ELA/Math Test Score reports
As part of the Eagle Academy admissions process, incoming 9th graders will complete a short writing sample and participate in a 10-minute interview with Eagle staff during our Open House Sessions.
------------------------------------------------------Register for an Open House Session today (either October 27th or November 10th !)
***RSVP by emailing Ms. Denise Browne, Parent Coordinator, at
firstname.lastname@example.org or calling
718-466-8000, ext. 1087.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING ADMISSIONS NOTIFICATIONS
Notices of placement at the Eagle Academy for Young Men are made through your son's guidance counselor at his current school. If you are wondering if your son was placed us, please check with your son's guidance counselor. Once a student is placed with us by the NYC Department of Education, he is guaranteed to attend here in the fall unless you decide to appeal the decision and put him elsewhere. We will be mailing letters home in late May/early June once our admissions lists are finalized by the NYCDOE.
The Admissions Process
The Eagle Academy for Young Men is a New York City Department of Education public school and follows all admissions procedures of the NYCDOE. In general, prospective students and parents must attend an open house in addition to submitting an official NYCDOE application to his current guidance counselor.
Note: for fall 2018 applications for the 2019-2020 school year, Eagle will be changing to an EdOp program. More information will be available in the fall of 2018.
The mission of The Eagle Academy for Young Men is to develop young men committed to the pursuit of academic excellence, strong character, and responsible leadership. We are a college-preparatory school focused and committed to the school’s guiding principles of: Academic Excellence, Mentoring, Leadership, Integrity, Character Development, and Community Service. We are part of a network of six all-male schools across the New York City area which work in collaboration to support the needs of our community and our young men. Our scholars are provided rigorous academic opportunities including advanced placement courses, CUNY College Now courses, and senior year off-site daytime internships. We have a long-established history of strong family engagement with a highly active parent association. We partner with parents to educate the whole child, and provide regular community-based parent workshops open to all families. We prepare our students to join the ranks of future leaders in society. Our scholars are expected to conduct themselves professionally, wear uniforms, and participate in cultural rituals as part of their normal school routines. Professionals from a wide array of careers act as mentors to provide scholarship and internship opportunities; they are successful male role models who partner with students in their development inside and outside of the classroom environment. Each fall, Eagle Academy hosts the All Male College Fair, and combined with regular college visits, our scholars are exposed to representatives from nearly one hundred colleges throughout their high school experience.
Each year, Eagle Academy receives over 1,500 applications for about 100 available seats.
The Admissions Process for Current NYC Students (Public/Private/Parochial)
Depending on which grade your son is entering, there are different procedures for applying to attend the Eagle Academy for Young Men.
Middle School Admissions
- For current NYC 5th grade students wishing to attend in 6th grade, a Middle School Choice Application must be submitted through his 5th grade guidance counselor, with program code X231L. Both the student and parent must attend an admissions open house.
- For current 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students wishing to transfer into the middle school mid-year, you may be eligible to transfer to Eagle Academy directly if seats are available and program requirements can be met, and both prospective scholar and parent make an appointment to come to the school. As of November 2017, seats are presently available in the 7th grade only. To transfer, you must contact email@example.com directly to set up an appointment. Transfers can happen at any time for current middle school students wishing to immediately change schools.
High School Admissions
- For current NYC 8th grade students, a High School Application must be submitted through his 8th grade guidance counselor, with program code X99X. Both student and parent must attend an admissions open house. Important note: admissions spots are guaranteed for current 8th grade Eagle students, but current Eagle 8th graders must also fill out a high school application.
- For current NYC 9th grade students wishing to transfer for 10th grade, a High School Application must be submitted to your 9th grade guidance counselor, with program code X99X. Both student and parent must attend an admissions open house.
- For current NYC 10th grade, 11th grade, and 12th grade students wishing to transfer, you must visit a Family Welcome Center. We are unable to admit current high school students directly for immediate transfer.
The Eagle Academy for Young Men is a NYC Department of Education school. All policies regarding NYCDOE schools apply to the Eagle Academy for Young Men.
Frequently Asked Questions
How will my son receive transportation?
Scholars at Eagle Academy receive MetroCards, based on eligibility pursuant to the regulations of the Office of Pupil Transportation (OPT). Eagle Academy does not provide yellow busing for any scholar except for special education students who have transportation on their IEPs. View the OPT website for additional information.
What are the deadlines?
Middle school applications are due to guidance counselors no later than December 1, 2017. High school applications are due to their guidance counselors no later than December 1, 2017.
How will I be notified if he was placed at Eagle?
Notices of placement at the Eagle Academy for Young Men are made through your son's guidance counselor at his current school. If you are wondering if your son was placed us, please check with your son's guidance counselor. Once a student is placed with us by the NYC Department of Education, he is guaranteed to attend here in the fall unless you decide to appeal the decision and put him elsewhere. We mail letters home in late May/early June once our admissions lists are finalized by the NYCDOE.